Powered by Blogger.

Going Plant Based

by - June 08, 2017



So I've been pretty loosely vegetarian for the past 3 years, and recently I decided to watch a slew of documentaries on Netflix about food. I've found these to be really eye opening, not only exposing the meat and dairy industries, but the sugar problem in America as well. 

If you'd like to watch them, head over to Netflix and watch 'Forks over Knives' and 'Sugar Coated'. Also, 'Vegucated' is a bit dated, but certainly watchable.

As for processed sugar and fast food: I was never really a big eater of either. When it came to meat: going vegetarian wasn't difficult for me. The only thing I felt I might "miss" from my original diet was cheese. However, after researching some plant based cheese options, trying to find one most like the original, a thought hit me: Why do I need to create a substitute of something that isn't good for me? 

I'm sure a lot of you might argue the "but it tastes good" logic, and I agree, on some respects. Brie does taste great. On my vacation I had an AMAZING cheese plate that I raved about. At the end of the day though, the dairy didn't sit right in my system, and I went to bed with a stomachache. The irrefutable point is that humans were not made to drink cow's milk. There's no reason to.

"Overall, about 75 percent of the world's population, including 25 percent of those in the U.S., lose their lactase enzymes after weaning.7 The recognition of this fact has resulted in an important change in terminology: Those who could not digest milk were once called "lactose intolerant" or "lactase deficient." They are now regarded as normal, while those adults who retain the enzymes allowing them to digest milk are called "lactase persistent."
There is no reason for people with lactose intolerance to push themselves to drink milk. Indeed, milk does not offer any nutrients that cannot be found in a healthier form in other foods. Surprisingly, milk-drinking does not even appear to prevent osteoporosis, its major selling point." - Read more here

Regardless if something tastes amazing, if there are health repercussions attached to that thing, anyone would advise you to give it up. That's the case with drugs: You know it's not good for you but you do it because it makes you feel good, at least in the moment. In the long run, you're left with a dilapidated body. Put this point of view on meat, cheese and processed sugar. A steak and a large oreo milkshake might seem like a good idea in the moment, but years later you're stuck with diabetes, high blood pressure and plenty of extra pounds.

Say this to a meat eater and you'd be hard pressed to get them to admit the facts. Excuses come in all shapes and sizes.

"I eat chicken though!" 

"I can treat myself once in awhile!"

"Well I only have hamburgers sometimes"

I decided that I didn't want to be this kind of person. 


Every person that eats meat contributes, in their own way, to a framework that routinely abuses animals, kills them, artificially impregnates them over and over so they produce milk, and keeps them locked in cages not much bigger than your arm. Only for them to be butchered after all their suffering, and end up on a plate at a barbeque.

Animal cruelty aside, eating a plant based diet is the healthy thing to do. For your body. For the planet. For your children.

In the future I'll try to post some recipes and photos of things I'm making these days. Thanks for reading~

You May Also Like

0 comments